Monday, July 5, 2010

Week 3 Reading Reflection

We were asked to write our reflections on digital storytelling, creative commons (copyright information), and Chapter 2 in our text for our class. Digital storytelling is just how it sounds...telling stories in a digital way. I can think of some really cool ways to use it in my classroom, but I am running into the problem of...WHO HAS TIME TO DO THIS???!!! I absolutely HATE saying this, but it's so true! I am bound and determined though to use some of these awesome web tools I am learning about and spend some time getting them down so I can quickly teach my students and use them :-) As for creative commons...this is copyright information so teachers and students won't get into trouble when using stuff (pictures, movies, quotes, etc.) in their online projects. There is important information out there that needs to be followed so we don't get into trouble and we can just concentrate on getting some awesome web projects going! While reading in our text "Technology in the Secondary Science Classroom," I can think of many uses of images and films. The lightbulb keeps going off in my head of so many neat things I can incorportate in my classroom. I agree with the researchers Hoban and van Ormer when they say that when you select your images or videos, they have to illustrate the targeted content and match the instructional goal. If you are showing a clip that has a little bit to do about your topic and not pin pointing your expected outcomes, then you are wasting your time and the students will not retain any information that you needed to. Make sure you are showing images and films that are directly related to your content and this will really open your student to your instruction. A couple of researchers by the names of Levie and Lentz researched how pictures affected learning of information presented in written texts. I agree with their quote on the importance of pictures and learning. Levin says, "Pictures interact with text to produce levels of comprehension and memory that can exceed what is produced from text alone."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie- I agree with you about the time, and also hate saying it! But, along with you, I am determined to add just a couple, maybe three of the most usuable techniques (webtools) to my classes next year. I really agree with one of the first things Eric Brunsell told us when we began this course (a student from a previous class wrote it!) - balance is important. These tools could all be wonderful, but if we use them all, we, as well as our students, would be overwhelmed!! I really like your focus on the benefits of using pictures in the classroom. I think you have centered in on the key - visuals must have purpose, which would reflect the instructional goals and match the target content. Otherwise we do not see the great advantages there are to using video and pictures.

    ReplyDelete